Friday, January 29, 2016

Fear And Trust

We are told to cast all our anxiety on Him because he cares for us (1 Peter 5:7). While it is nice to be loved, it is who loves us that can make all the difference. If it is someone who can not protect me, the fact that they love me does not ease my anxiety in the face of danger. To be loved by a pauper does not relieve anxiety over financial distress. Health can decline, but unless the one who loves you can heal you, your anxiety over your sickness is not reduced. The relationship between anxiety and caring is affected directly by who it is who cares for us.

When the One who cares for me is able to protect me and shield me from harm (Psalm 11:1; 32:7), the fact that he cares for me reduces anxiety. I need not fear because He is with me (Joshua 1:9). If the one who cares for me is a rich and generous, I need not fear hunger or poverty (Deuteronomy 8:18, Haggai 2:8). There is no need to be anxious about sickness if a healer cares for me (Psalm 103:3, Jeremiah 17:14). Even death need not be feared if the resurrection and the life is the one who cares for you (John 11:25-26).

Anxiety is caused by not trusting the one who cares for you in the area you are feeling stressed. You may trust God with your finances, but still be anxious over health issues. You can trust God to protect you from harm from enemies, but become anxious over an empty cupboard. Anxiety comes because our area of stress is not matched by our area of trust. In order to be free from anxiety we have to realize the one who cares for us CAN care for us in everything. We have to have complete trust in Him (Proverbs 3:5, Isaiah 26:4). Anxiety comes from not trusting, and complete trust removes all fear. Trust Him to care for you in everything, and you will fear nothing (Psalm 56:3, Isaiah 12:2).